Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Shit! What a Shame!

Sometimes you experience such embarrassing moments that you should rather behave as if nothing happened than cast guilty glances around that attract attention and add to your humiliation. A lesson well learned! Boy what an embarrassing incident it was ... here it goes.

Swathi had told me to get a few things on my way back from work which as usual had slipped out of my mind. Yes it was a busy day and I was preoccupied but how I wish my mind hadn't failed me! I had a few calls lined up that I was taking from home. So Swathi who was already a bit febrile that day had to take care of Ojas all by herself. By the end of my calls she looked both haggardly and miffed. She was obviously not pleased to learn that I had forgot to run the errands yet again. I was tired myself after a long day but the responsible man-of-the-house in me rose and walked out along with Ojas to the neighborhood super-store.

Once in the store, I let him wander. Any attempts of carrying or holding him are usually futile. So while he amused himself with the colorful stuff around, I scurried to pick up a Vim bar, Ghee dabba and vegetables while keeping a watchful eye on the little one. I saw him as he went close to the racks but didn't really pick up any stuff. We had warned him a number of times against picking up anything in the stores and I was quite impressed that he actually followed that. By now he had found a companion in a little girl who had come with her dad too. I saw Ojas waving his finger and saying "na.. naa.." as she tried to pick up something from the racks! I almost burst into a chuckle but controlled myself seeing her dad standing close by. I felt proud of my son; little did I know what was coming my way!

As I was waiting at the billing counter, I saw him scamper away between two shelves. I called out behind him but then let him be. I quickly billed the items and then went after him. I saw him squatting at the end of the racks with a contented smile happily calling out for me "baba.. baba..". It didn't take me a moment to realize what was happening. I was too familiar with his expressions and moods. As I came closer, I could see a bulge under him and a small puddle that confirmed what I had already postulated. It then dawned on me that I had left home in a hurry and had forgotten to put a diaper on him! I panicked. When you are in panic, shit happens. And that's exactly what happened. Not knowing what to do, I picked him up in a reflex and down came all that was till now safely secured in the confines of his pajama and lay there in full view of everyone! I stood there agape. I called up Swathi and she was like "What can I do from here! Clean it up!" I don't know what I was thinking. Of course what could she have done. But I was so embarrassed, and angry and panicked. I couldn't think of anybody else during this surge of emotions in me. A few more moments passed by as I stood there holding him in air lest he should step on his crap and cause more mess. Still uncertain what to do I glanced around guiltily trying hard to avoid the askance looks that people were throwing at us. One of the shop staff who was helping me around till now was now giving me a grumpy look mocking at my evident stupidity. The little girl and her father passed by and the father made it a point to jump over the poop rubbing salt on my wounded and humiliated soul. I didn't know where to keep my face. I wished I wasn't there. I wished I hadn't forgotten to get the items. I cursed myself and my memory!

I tried to regain my composure before my mind ran amuck. What had to happen had already happened. What had to be done now had to be done. It was more important to get us out of this chagrin! I surveyed the room begging for empathy and saw a lady staff approaching. I gathered up all my courage and asked her for a broom. She nodded, turned back and vanished behind a wall leaving us with our shame. A few more moments before that angel came back not with a broom but a pair of polythene bags. Neither was there time nor was I in a mood for pleasantries. I almost snatched the bags from her, used one as a glove, gathered my son's droppings in the other one and made a beeline for the door!

3 comments:

Channappa (Channs) Jagadish said...

Lmao! A very enjoyable read although I can imagine the embarrassment, anxiety and awkardness you would have experienced ;o)
Now I can appreciate the gravity of the usage - "The shit has hit the ceiling"!!!
The staff should have been more responsive (like using a bundle of tissue paper) and won a loyal customer in you.
Wish I wish there.....to capture this on video :o)

Akshay said...

Hehehe.. nice read, although an embarrassing situation!

i guess you now have a new term.. 'when shit hits the shop-floor!!' :-)

Observer said...

Oh What a shitting experience :-)